There was a time when ‘zoo’ meant that you go and visit animals kept in cages of different shapes and sizes. The lion pacing the cage, the monkeys running all around and raising a rucksack, birds perched on twigs… but over the years zoos have evolved and have become ‘animal friendly’ and resemble the natural habitats of each animal. It allows the animals to roam around as free as could be. We LOVE animals and have visited our good share of zoos all over the world… but the thirst continues. So, we have come-up with the ’10 Best Zoos and Animal in the World’ and intend to visit each one of them (luckily, some of them we have already visited)
The Singapore Zoo is famous for its incredible landscape and animals staying in habitats that simulates a life in the wild. This zoo is also famous for its Jungle Breakfast!
- Where:80 Mandai Lake Rd, Singapore 729826
- What to expect: Huge collection of animals in natural habitat, rainforest zoo with tram rides, trails & viewing platforms to see wildlife habitats & exhibits.
- Park Hours: 8:30AM–6PM
- Entrance Fee: 29.00 € for adult
Animal Kingdom is part of the Disney Theme Park collection and like all Disney Parks, nothing is done half-heartedly! Its latest attraction is the ‘Avatar Flight of Passage’.
- Where:2901 Osceola Pkwy, Orlando, FL 32830, USA
- What to expect: Over 1,500 exotic animals, plus hundreds of fish and bird species and unparalleled ‘Disney Effect’.
- Park Hours: 9am to 9.30pm
- Entrance Fee:Approx $107 (it varies day to day)
Basel Zoo was opened in 1874 and amongst the oldest zoos in the world. today. The zoo is, in fact, the second most visited attraction in all of Switzerland. They have this unique program by which you can adopt one of this animals!
- Where:Binningerstrasse 40, 4054 Basel, Switzerland
- What to expect: More than 6,000 animals, including Somolian wild donkeys, dwarf hippopotami, etc.
- Park Hours: 8AM–5:30PM
- Entrance Fee: CHF 21 for adult and CHF 43 for family
Safari World is amongst one of the most unique animal park in the world. The animals stays in their natural habitat, free to roam around (and hide in bushes!) and it is the visitors who have to travel around in closed cars and vans!
- Where:Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10510, Bangkok, Thailand
- What to expect: A milder ‘Jurassic Park’ experience! 1000s of species of animals freely roaming around while you venture into their world in a van.
- Park Hours: 9AM–5PM
- Entrance Fee: 700 Baht for adult
The Bronx Zoo in New York is one of the largest zoo in any city and spreads over 250 acres of land. We love them so much because of their dedication to conservation of wildlife and its habitats. Other than the animals, what makes it a unique zoo is the life-like statues of prehistoric animals scattered all over the place.
- Where:2300 Southern Blvd, Bronx, NY 10460, USA
- What to expect: 4000 species of animals, including endangered and rare species, Congo gorilla, lemurs, hissing cockroaches, etc… don’t forget the dinosaurs!
- Park Hours: 10AM–5PM
- Entrance Fee: $36.95 for adult
The National Zoological Gardens of South Africa is the largest zoo in South Africa, it houses over 2,500 species of animals. Most of the animals at the zoo today were bred and born there. Don’t miss the cable!
- Where:232 Boom St, Daspoort 319-Jr, Pretoria, 0001, South Africa
- What to expect: 2500 species of animals in their natural habitat.
- Park Hours: 8:30AM–5:30PM
- Entrance Fee: R 110.00 for adult & R 35.00 for Cable
The Auckland Zoo has over 875 animals of around 138 different species. It has the largest collection of native and exotic animals in New Zealand, including the elusive Kiwi.
- Where: Motions Rd, Auckland 1022, New Zealand
- What to expect: 875 native and exotic animals in New Zealand, including the elusive Kiwi.
- Park Hours: 9:30AM–5PM
- Entrance Fee: $28 for adult $47 for Family Pass
The Schonbrunner Zoo was founded in 1792, which makes it the oldest zoo in the world! It has a Rainforest house and Artic Polarium too. Farms animals are kept in pens and stalls and there is even a petting zoo inside! It also has a panorama train running inside it.
- Where:Maxingstraße 13b, 1130 Wien, Austria
- What to expect: Different animals, including polar bear, farm animals, etc. Expect lots of happy, screaming and running children!
- Park Hours: 9 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
- Entrance Fee: € 18,50 for adult
The Smithsonian National Zoological Park is not only the largest zoo in USA but is unique because the entry is FREE!!! You can also go for the night-time tour of the zoo and a camp-out!
- Where:3001 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC 20008, USA
- What to expect: 2,000, of which 30–40 are endangered species. Notable amongst the animals is the Giant Panda Tai Shah.
- Park Hours: 8AM–7PM
- Entrance Fee: Free!!
The Toronto Zoo is one of the largest zoo the world. It has relatively the largest collection of animals and over 10 km of walking trails.
- Where:2000 Meadowvale Rd, Toronto, ON M1B 5K7, Canada
- What to expect: 5000 animals representing over 450 species and over 10 km of walking trails!
- Park Hours: 9AM–7PM
- Entrance Fee: $23.00 for adult
So, this are the best of the best, when it comes to zoos and animals parks in the works and we insist that you must visit them if you can. We were lucky enough to visit quite a few of these zoos and parks and we will cover them in our future posts. So, pack your cameras and tangy candies and hit the road!